Wednesday, September 25, 2024

My thoughts on Lockhart's Lament

 After reading the rage-filled lament by Paul Lockhart, I did have a moment of existential crisis about my interest and love for the subject Mathematics. But after some pondering about his views and solutions, I can express some of my thoughts on this essay.

I resonated very strongly with the section of "High School Geometry: Instrument of the Devil". While I was considered proficient at Math in high school based on my grades, the topic of geometry and its proofs haunted me. Whenever I opened the textbook, the swarm of symbols and brick like proof blocks just made me want to close it. I now understand this reaction stems from lack of freedom in exploring the beauty of geometric properties as well as the mandatory rigidity in geometry course. I did manage through the chapter by sheer will of practicing all types of questions as well as rote memorization of all. At the time, I thought it was just not the suitable topic for my brain. As an adult after reading through this lament, it was a natural fear response to such boring and unimaginative approach to geometry.

One point I partially disagreed with Lockhart was the over criticism of the usage of symbols and letters. It is true that these rigid formalities take away imaginations on how learners understand mathematics. Asking a young mind to conform to an array of random letters will drive away their interest in math. My partial agreement comes from that school should not emphasize the perfection of the symbol usage until higher grades who wish to step into the profession. What I don't agree was the discount of the mathematical symbols and letters. I have been an working adult for a while. Maybe I am boring, but I greatly appreciate standards (preferably global or industry). Agreed upon symbols are nonetheless a language to communicate Mathematics in, it greatly reduces the need for redundant communication to bridge the comprehension difference on the same idea. While Math is an art, it is also heavily used by scientific world where that standard exists. Hence, my view on it is that these symbols should have some place in the K-12 education, just that it should not be emphasized like we currently do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Final Reflection on EDCP 342

Here we are, the end of the road of EDCP 324. Although it was only around 3.5 months, this was the most I have thought about Math as a subje...